I worked closing for the first time, which means I got to meet some new people. Apparently I am full of surprises today. Yay a list!
- After telling me her name, the second thing my co-worker said to me was “Hey, do you speak french?” The group got really excited when I said yes.
- Upon confirming that I do speak french, the next question I was asked was “So where are you from?” which was logic as the other two french speakers in the group are from Africa. There was a whole lot of giggling and bewilderment when I told them that I am American. Then there was an explanation as to why an American can speak french.
- There was shock and awe that I know things about African and Haitian culture.
- There was also shock and awe that I went to college and do not have any children.
- Someone was surprised that I drove to work.
- Last in the list of surprises, people thought that the person training me and I were sister in spite of the fact that we have the same first name.
Also, I think I can now confidently say that I have touched all the things on the outside edge of the store. Today I spent the length of my shift (8.5 hours) moving products to the front of their shelf and making sure the labels face front. Goodness there are a lot of things. So many things!